Battery Mouth

Stuff that matters

A mum was forced to watch helplessly as her husband and son were gored to death by a water buffalo at their family farm, an inquest heard.

Ralph Jump, 57, and Peter Jump, 19, were charged at by the four-year-old bull, Yolo, on their nine-acre smallholding in Gwehelog, Wales, on May 5 last year.

The animal also attacked Peter’s sister, 22-year-old Isabel, who survived the incident.

Josephine Jump, Ralph’s wife, was cooking in the kitchen when her daughter came in shouting that Yolo was “pushing dad down the field”.

The mum, who had asked her husband to go outside to move a hay ring that had been pushed against an electric fence, quickly grabbed a stick and went to help.

She told Gwent Coroner’s Court in Newport that the family had kept the Mediterranean bull to sell bars of milk soap.

They had purchased the animal in 2016 before noticing two years later that the bull “didn’t like Peter” and would hold its head up and “watch him”.

“The bull never behaved like this with me or (Ralph) and we would keep Peter away from him,” she said.

Recalling the horror in a written statement, Ms Jump said: “I could see him being rolled down the hill by the bull and I could hear he was groaning. I got between them but it kept trying to get back at him. He was groaning but looked unconscious,” she said.

Ms Jump said her son, Peter, who was home from university due to the coronavirus pandemic, arrived on the muddy field holding an iron baton to “hit the bull away” from his father.

“All of a sudden, the bull started going for Peter, and got him,” she said.

The bull began to walk back to where Mr Jump lay prone on the floor, prompting Ms Jump to try and protect him, but she said she realised “he’d gone”.

“I couldn’t hear him and I knew he’d passed,” she said.

Ms Jump said the bull then began attacking her daughter, who was also stood in the field while ringing emergency services, and described her being “dragged around” by the animal before it lost interest and returned to attacking Peter.

Emergency services attended the scene and noted that Peter had “an obvious hole in his neck”.

Peter was taken by air ambulance to hospital with “critical” injuries, while his father, who worked as a managing director, was pronounced dead at the scene and was later found to have suffered multiple injuries to his chest, including smaller puncture wounds.

Peter, who had suffered rib fractures and lacerations, was operated on at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, but was unable to be properly ventilated as he had blood in his lungs and died later that day.

Isabel was discharged from hospital after suffering a serious injury to her leg. Armed police who arrived at the scene shot the bull dead.

Coroner Caroline Saunders told the inquest jury they would have to determine whether “appropriate steps were taken” in terms of safety at the farm and whether “failings in working practices contributed to the deaths”.